Our world is filled with endless geographical mysteries. And at no point will we truly unlock the endless discoveries our planet has to offer. But thanks to these Redditor responses, prepare for some extraordinary facts about this bizarre world and the sources where you can read more.
1. 12 people have walked on the moon. – Wikipedia
2. California has more people than all of Canada. – City News
3. Mt. Thor in the Baffin Islands, Canada, has Earth’s greatest sheer vertical drop. You can take one step off the peak and fall nearly a mile (4,101ft) before you hit anything. – Wikipedia
4. 90% of Earth’s population live in the Northern Hemisphere. – Business Insider
5. Australia is wider than the moon. – See visual
6. Only 3 people have been to Challenger Deep, the deepest point in our oceans. – More at Gizmodo
Fun fact: James Cameron (the guy behind Alien, Terminator, Titanic, Avatar and more) was on of the three.
7. Continents shift at about the same rate as your fingernails grow. – The New York Times
8. Somewhere in the Philippines, there’s an island in a lake on an island in a lake on an island. – Earthly Mission
9. Despite being on separate sides of the country, there is one hour a year where it is the same time in Oregon and Florida. – More at Brent Logan
“A small portion of eastern Oregon is in the mountain time zone (while the rest of OR is Pacific time) and the Florida panhandle is central time zone (with the rest of FL using Eastern time), so when the Florida panhandle sets their clocks back an hour in the fall, it is the same time as Eastern Oregon (which wouldn’t set their clocks back for another hour)” – Redditor CouleursCPA