If you identified yourself as an emo kid throughout grade school and spent the majority of your weekends sneaking out to catch live shows only to come home exhausted from nonstop mosh-pits, you probably had at least one major crush on your favorite band member. Whether it was Gerard Way from My Chemical Romance or Pete Wentz from Fall Out Boy, we’ve all been guilty of drooling over an eyeliner-clad rockstar.
Obviously, a lot has changed since those years of underground screamo shows and emo heartthrobs. In fact, those crushes you once obsessed over (maybe still do) have had their own drastic transformations…some better than others. Check out how a decade or so in time has affected your favorites and you may be shocked.
1. Pete Wentz from Fall Out Boy
No complaints here.
2. Brendon Urie from Panic! At The Disco
3. Chris Carrabba from Dashboard Confessional
I think we could turn back the clocks on this one, but maybe without the sideburns.
4. Sonny Moore (AKA Skrillex) from From First To Last
From “there’s no one in the world like Emily” to *crazy dubstep sounds*
5. Pierre Bouvier from Simple Plan
Honestly, I think I’d rather have 2017 Pierre.
6. Adam Lazzara from Taking back Sunday
He made the emo to hipster transition quite smoothly, imho.
7. Benji And Joel Madden from Good Charlotte
Are those really the same guys?
8. Claudio Sanchez from Coheed and Cambria
Some things never change.
9. Bert McCracken from The Used
Less hair, more nail polish.
10. Tyson Ritter from All American Rejects
A few years didn’t hurt too bad.
11. Davey Havok from AFI
Jesus, thank you for this transformation.
12. Alex Gaskarth from All Time Low
I can dig it.
13. Jared Leto from 30 Seconds To Mars
14. Aaron Gillespie from Underoath and The Almost
I’m so confused.
15. Ben Gibbard from Death Cab For Cutie
Good for you, Ben.
16. Anthony Green from Circa Survive and Saosin
Please marry me. That is all.
17. Patrick Stump from Fall Out Boy
How did I never know his last name was Stump?
18. Jordan Pundik from New Found Glory
Is it just me or does that look like a different nose?
19. Deryck Whibley from Sum 41
20. Gerard Way from My Chemical Romance
It’s amazing what a little more sunshine and a little less eyeliner can do.